When I am thinking about “utilities” these are things that are just required, like hot water and electricity. Sure there are thousands of plugins, some very interesting ones at that, but lets look at the ones that will keep our blog safe, security and ready for action.
1. XML Sitemap Feed – Creates a dynamic XML feed that complies with the XML Sitemap protocol to aid Google, Yahoo, MSN, Ask.com indexing your blog. I love these one as there is NO configuration needed, activate and you are ready to go.
2. WP Google Analytics – Lets you use Google Analytics to track your WordPress site statistics. Easy to use, activate, paste your google analytics code, configured a few options, done.
3. Akismet – Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web service to see if they look like spam or not. You do need to grab a API, but the process is quite easy to do.
4. WP-DB-Backup – WP-DB-Backup allows you easily to backup your core WordPress database tables. Even if you are using a managed wordpress where your web host keeps backups, it is a good idea to do your own back, especially before installing plugins or theme you are not sure about.
5. Simple CAPTCHA – A simple captcha system for comment system to prevent spam. just a little extra care to make sure the spam is defeated