Well this is no exactly a WordPress issue/solution. I think that it is very important part of building the foundation of your web presence and your business brand.
Before you dive down this path, you need to be SUPER clear on what your long-term goals are, who your target audience is and what image(brand) you want to present.
1. Use your personal name or your business name. These question can be tough sometimes. What is your business? what are the kinds of products and services you are presenting? For example an Author, Main website should be the personal name, a Lawyer could go with a name if she plans on staying solo, but if she wants to bring on associates down the road then a business name would be better. A Holistic Practitioner who specializes in multiple modalities could use her name.
2. Friendly to your Target Audience. Will your target readers, know and understand the name? Can they related to it? Can you easily explain it in one sentence? I would recommend using your business name, if you are an already established business, this will make it easier for you existing clients.
3. Unique, Short, Memorable. You want to ensure that casual readers can easily remember the name, that way if they want to head back or they are telling someone about a good article they can share it easily. Easy to pronounce.
4. Easy to type. Be careful with spelling. I don’t recommend numbers. It is okay to add some meaning to it, you can also mix in some keywords. I would also recommend that you get a .com, you can also buy other country specific domains such as .ca. or co.uk, but use the .com as the main domain.
5. Create and Fulfill Expectations. When someone hears about your domain name for the first time, they should be able to instantly and accurately guess at the type of content that might be found there.
Personally have gone back and forth on the whole idea of Personal Name vs Business name. And I have grown and changed as my business has changed. Three years ago, when I changed my business name, I made the decision to use the business name. I made this decision because of the scope of the long-term business vision/plan. So in the last three years I took a baby website with a new name, to page 1 of Google. The foundation was set with WordPress!
Tomorrow’s topic is The WordPress Dashboard at a Glance
Free 5 Day Video Training On How To share your Unique Message, Attract More Clients and Create a Successful Business. Step-By-Step strategies for creating a Divinely Powerful Online Presence!
- Learn how to be Spiritual Rich
- Learn how to create a Divinely Powerful Website
- Learn how to create a real Client Connection
- Learn how to expand your reach with Social Media
Enter your email to view your videos now! Click Here to Learn More