Many, if not most of people have heard of Zig Ziglar. He teaches/speaks on many topics but that one that I am most drawn to is Goals or goal setting.
Hear is a quick run down of his 7 steps to goal setting:
7 steps of goal setting:
- Identify what the goal is. Be specific and clear. Be able to know when you have reached it.
- Set a deadline. Have a timetable for accomplishment with milestones and sub-goals. Be able to measure your progress over time.
- Identify the obstacles needed to be overcome in achieving the goal.
- Know what people or groups of people you will need to work with.
- Identify what knowledge or skills you need to have to accomplish the goal.
- Develop a plan of action – written down.
- Know why it is you want to achieve this goal. List the benefits to you. This may be more motivating than the goal itself!
As Ziglar says and I completely believe everyone needs goals in order to accomplish things. Just saying you want to do X doesn’t mean anything until you put a plan together to accomplish it! And that commit to it!
Zig Ziglar Quotes:
- A goal properly set is halfway reached.
- Every choice you make has an end result.
- Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street.
- If you want to reach a goal, you must “see the reaching” in your own mind before you actually arrive at your goal.
- Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have.
- The foundation stones for a balanced success are honesty, character, integrity, faith, love and loyalty.
Whatever your goal is, do it now. You will be able to come up with excuses all year long – good ones, too. Don’t listen to them, just work on your goals now!
You must be able to answer these five questions successfully:
- Is it really my goal?
- Is it morally right and fair?
- Are my short range goals consistent with my long range goals?
- Can I commit myself emotionally to achieving this outcome?
- Can I visualize myself reaching this goal?
You don’t know what to goal to start with? Here are some areas to help decide. Pick something small work out your goal setting muscles.
- Physical (appearance, exercise programs, medical/dental checkups, weight, nutrition).
- Family (listening habits, forgiveness, role model, supportiveness, shared time, respect, love).
- Financial (earnings, savings, investments, budget, insurance, debt).
- Social (Humor, listening habits, confidence, manners, caring).
- Spiritual (inner peace, purpose, prayer, Bible study, faith).
- Mental (imagination, attitude, education, reading, curiosity).
- Career (job satisfaction, effectiveness, training, understanding, purpose)
Here are some words from Ziglar: *his enthusiasm is contagious!