Let’s get right into the basic definition: A electronic or digital newsletter or magazine is a regularly distributed publication generally about one main topic that is of interest to its subscribers.
Why Publish an eZine?
As an eZine publisher, not only can you easily achieve the benefits a conventional newsletter publisher enjoys without having to chop down several trees in the process, you can easily and conveniently spread your marketing influence and expertise to your base of subscribers.
Basically, all you need to start your own eZine are an autoresponder and broadcast feature to go with, enabling you to reach out to your subscribers whom you can regard as your prospects or potential clients.
Publishing Your eZine – the Pros
There are several advantages publishing your own eZine can offer to you.
- The most obvious reason for publishing an eZine, it is easy, ANYONE can do it.
- Most importantly, you get to build your own personal media and spread your marketing influence, making you more valuable to product and service owners.
Publishing Your eZine – the Cons
As with any other types of businesses, publishing your own online eZine has its share of drawbacks.
- One obvious challenge most beginning eZine publishers face is the creation of eZine content. A way of taking care of this problem is to create your content in advance. You can compile several days worth of content in one day.
Deciding the Nature of Your eZine
When choosing a topic to publish your eZine on, you must consider some important success factors that can determine the flow and goal of your eZine.
A very good idea is to write non-time sensitive contents such as short tips, mini stories and interviews. Doing so enables you to create content in advance so that you can conveniently dispense to your subscribers at a later schedule.
Some other topic ideas, cater to a starving market that will always be on demand for the kind of content you offer.
The 3 Best eZine Formats
eZine publishers today use any one or more of the 3 most commonly used eZine formats.
Ultimately, you can decide which format is the best choice for you AND your potential prospects.
- Text eZine. The advantage of this format is that other than writing, you do not require any special skill to use a Word or Notepad program.
- HTML eZine. You can add more sophisticated features to your eZine issues, making them more appealing to your subscriber thus increases your readership value, something that text eZines do not have.You can decorate your eZine format, change your fonts, include pictures, and more.
- PDF eZine. A Portal Document Format (PDF) is a file format that provides an electronic image of text or text and graphics that looks like a printed document and can be viewed, printed, and electronically transmitted. Publishing your eZine in PDF format can consume a lot of time and effort on your part but often make up in quality readership
You can choice the format that will work the best for your readers/subscribers. You do not have to necessarily choose strictly one eZine format, as some eZine publishers today do publish in more than one format.
Your Next Steps
- Decide on the format for your eZine
- Decide on how often you are going to send it, minimum monthly and up to weekly.
- Decide on a name, make sure to pick a name that describes you and offers a lot of value.